Thursday, May 05, 2005

Perspective


Some readers may have noticed I have cleaned up the blog a bit lately. Part of that was including the famous quote that Carl mentioned the other day in the masthead. To give you some sort of perspective of what that commander was saying, I will try to summarize.

Above is a photo (click for larger version) of the famous USS Missouri with a destroyer alongside. Lt. Cmdr. Copeland, when addressing his sailors was basically telling his men that they were going to take a ship smaller than the tiny one above and go up against a fleet with ships slightly bigger than the large one above. I don't want to go into the range of the guns and other things like that, but lets just say that if you war gamed it you would probably never win as the smaller ship. They went on their suicide mission to protect a fleet of light aircraft carriers. It is one of the greatest stories I have ever read and you can take a look at it by clicking on "Tin Can Sailors" on the left. I don't get paid for any of my links so don't think that I want you to read it for my own gain - you should read it for your own gain. Posted by Hello

No comments: