Saturday, May 14, 2005

Nightclubbing: Roots of Hard Core

I went with my wife to see Nightclubbing: Roots of Hard Core at the Gene Siskel film center in Chicago.

The first thing that is always odd to me is that Gene Siskel died while Roger Ebert lived... imaging going back in time to when their show began - who would have bet on Siskel for the dead pool vs. Ebert....

Back to the movie - it started with some random interviews with people about punk rock / hardcore circa 1979. One person mentioned that he thought TED NUGENT rocked the hardest but then he picked up the Ramones and had to think twice. Somone else mentioned the Cramps and said they saw them at a show where the lead singer had eaten a pizza and drunk a case of beer and just threw up on the audience, but no one seemed to mind.

The first part of the show had Johnny Thunder and the Heartbreakers footage from 1970's. Pretty interesting stuff, but the quality was AWFUL. Later they had the Bad Brains, who surprisingly stand up pretty well with music today.

Finally, they had the Dead Kennedy's with Jello Biafra singing. They were playing at the era of "Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables" with "Holiday in Cambodia" being their major song. In this song some girl from the audience comes out and basically assaults the singer and they wrestle for about 5 minutes - you have to see it to believe it. Doesn't seem the worse for wear...

The funny part is that I know all of the lyrics to "Holiday in Cambodia" and most of the DK songs to boot. I guess when I am in a rest home and forget all of my recent memories I will be able to rely on my full knowledge of DK lyrics. My wife kept nudging me to shut up as I sung along...

Here is a link to the Dead Kennedy's web site - apparently the band continually tours without Jello Biafra, their original singer.

Here is a link to the Heartbreakers site with the history of Richard Hell.

Here is a link to a site about The Cramps - apparently their official site is under way...

"So you've been to school for a year or two and you know you've seen it all...

in Daddy's car knowing you'll go far back east your type don't crawl..."

Another funny thing is the memories coming back about all of the wasted time thinking of band names and arguing about who was better. Since I wasn't close to the 'coolness' of NYC we had to debate whether Ozzy or Dio Black Sabbath was better. I remember seeing an article with an interview featuring Cameron Diaz where she said she liked Dio-era Sabbath, and I thought this was pretty cool.... just because that is a pretty ludicrous thing to throw out in polite conversation.

3 comments:

Chris of Dangerous Logic said...

If you listen to 'We've Got A Bigger Problem Now,' which was written during Reagan's presidency, and substitute 'George W. Bush' for 'Reagan' throughout, you've essentially got the MoveOn anthem, with a bonus 'all our freedoms are going away tomorrow' vibe thrown in.

And I never did figure out exactly what a Teenage Googoomuck is.

Carl from Chicago said...

Also the original "california uber allies" was about BROWN, a million years ago - pretty funny know with ARNOLD in there

Chris of Dangerous Logic said...

Bwah! I forgot all about that one!