Monday, May 09, 2005

The Huffington Blog

Ann Althouse is taking the new Huffington blog with one thousand team members to task. Of course, Ms. Althouse is smarter than pretty much all of the members of Huffington's blog combined so it isn't too hard. I think I will pile on a bit myself.

I scrolled through the first page or two and it is absolutely brutal. It seems that maybe a 20 year old college kid is writing the stuff. Honestly, I don't think many of the people listed are actually doing the "blogging" (or whatever it is that they are doing). Seems they are simply letting the people who run the site write garbage and affix a famous persons name onto said trash. Example:

05.09.2005 Jon Robin Baitz
Gay marriage and me. (My big mouth.)
I have a new play starting previews in New York this Friday called The Paris Letter. I’m sure I’ll write about it later. But I had other blogging plans today. Today I was going to write about the re-opening of my favorite taco stand one hundred miles from Broadway,the location of which I shall not reveal, except to say the operators of said stand close up shop and go back to Mexico for the iron grey months from December ‘til now. I was going to write something about posole and red chili and perhaps the odd act of accommodation made by so many republicans towards the Christian Rights’ toad-like absorption of their party. I was going to write about how cool Jonathon Rhys-Myers is as Elvis, and a recipe for a little quick pasta dish (green English peas, chicken stock, garlic, red chili flakes, parsley, agood dry aged goat cheese over flat noodles) which takes six minutes to make when you get home from rehearsal and nobody made you dinner.
Brutal. "Toad-like absorption?" What the hell does this mean? There is more to this post, but you get the idea. And who is Jon Robin Baitz you ask? So did I. So after a quick Google, this is what I found. You got it - a guy who writes plays. These don't seem to be deep thinkers over there.

Here is some soggy blogging from Julia Dreyfuss and Brad Hall:
05.09.2005 Julia Louis-Dreyfus and Brad Hall
Marriage Trouble
Julia:
I had intended to co-blog with my husband, but due to circumstances enumerated below, that may never be possible.
Brad:
I have been married to a beautiful, smart, funny woman since 1987. Together we have had two happy children and shared nearly 18 years of marital bliss. Now the whole thing is ruined. Like most Americans, I had hoped that the Defense of Marriage Act would do just that: defend my marriage. Apparently not. Look around and you’ll see the gays getting gay-married all over the place, and, to quote, well, everyone: gay marriage destroys real marriage. Now, when I come home to my wife, I feel nothing. How could I? SHE COULD BE A MAN. Thanks a lot, gays. Thanks for rendering our vows obsolete. Thanks for illegitimizing our sons. Thanks for tearing asunder a great institution that has heretofore withstood Las Vegas, Elizabeth Taylor, Larry King and Britney Spears combined.The only hope for this sacred rite is that the People will be allowed to express their opinion on the issue, perhaps in a nationwide plebiscite. This would be just the sort of opportunity to head off unpopular “progress” (e.g. feminism or integration) that we never got in the 60s. I think we all know which way an up or down vote on Gayness (much less Gay Marriage) would go. I DARE the activist judges to go against the WILL OF THE PEOPLE after that! Earl Warrens are in thankfully short supply these days. Until such a vote, however, I have begun re-organizing my finances so I don’t get fucked in the assets in my divorce from the only woman I have ever loved.
I have read and re-read this passage and don't know what the hell they are talking about. All those books I read, all the years in college, all the research I have done and I just can't figure this out. Anyway, you get the idea. Please tell me I am better than this.

UPDATE: Holy crap it is only Noon Central Time and there are already 40 posts on the Huffington blog! Hey Arianna, add a few more team members!

No comments: