Tuesday, April 26, 2005

This Makes Me Very Happy

A wonderful law has passed in Florida and I hope more states do the same. It basically protects the homeowner or business owners rights to self defense.

The law will let Floridians "meet force with force," erasing the "duty to retreat" when they fear for their lives outside of their homes, in their cars or businesses, or on the street.

The Florida measure says any person "has the right to stand his or her ground and meet force with force, including deadly force if he or she reasonably believes it is necessary to do so to prevent death or great bodily harm."

This is what a former NRA president calls "The Castle Doctrine". Of course, this doctrine already applied at my house. If anyone invades my house I would risk my life and/or time in jail to protect my family, invasion laws be damned. Promise. Gun control advocates are reeling lately and it is a great thing. Now maybe we could get some momentum going in Chicago so my good friend Carl could be allowed to legally possess a firearm for his protection. Doesn't that sound ridiculous? Carl, living in one of the most dangerous cities in the United States cannot legally own a handgun?

No comments: