Tuesday, April 19, 2005

The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim

Regular readers here know that I am a big fan of baseball, but not a fan of the owners, the league and many players. This is a great example of why I think the owners are probably some of the worst businessmen ever.

In 1961 the Los Angeles Angels started playing baseball. They moved to Anaheim in 1966 and changed the name to the California Angels. They changed their name in 1997 to the Anaheim Angels. OK, I can live with all of this. Well, this year they are called The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. Now, just exactly what is being accomplished by this? I can't imagine one person who would now go to an Angels game since the name of the team is changed. Joe six pack is sitting there in his living room, watching Sportscenter and the scores come on - he says to himself "Oh my god! The team is now called the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim - I must go to many games now!!!" Don't think so.

The Angels haven't moved, the team is the same, same uniforms, same everything. Same, same, same. So why the name change? I just don't get it.

Let's bring out the lawyers. The City of Anaheim, who subsidized part of the new stadium that the Angels is suing the team for the name change. If it can't get fixed, I assume the Los Angeles Dodgers will sue the Angels for something. Sigh. Go Milwaukee Brewers of Milwaukee!

No comments: