Monday, April 11, 2005

I Love My Bike


Well, for my first long ride of the spring I went 50 miles over the Military Ridge Trail. I was huffing and puffing over the last 15 miles, but I made it (what choice did I have?). This was no leisure ride - I averaged 13.6 mph - and that includes rests. All of the hard conditioning I did over the winter really paid off. The trail was unbelievably rough. Lots of ruts, car burnouts from stupid kids and horse hoof marks for my bike to rattle into. The trail is paved from Madison to Verona, but crushed limestone thereafter. I really think that my 50 miles over the trail would translate into 75 pavement miles - you lose LOTS of energy into the trail, the ruts and soft ground. If I keep it up I should be in pretty good shape for my century on June 5. I am not even sore except for my left knee which is a bit tender, but not swollen and barely noticeable. Training, training, training.
As an aside, I am now, at 36, in the best shape of my life by far. Makes me feel that I have wasted a lot of my life in slovenly pursuits. Posted by Hello

No comments: