Friday, January 21, 2005

Guilty as Charged

The story below about Michael Moore's bodyguard was drawn to my attention by The Drudge Report. He had a headline about Michael Moore's bodyguard arrested for illegal handgun posession in New York. I clicked on it and was taken to the Fox News website. Then I felt that I would write a snappy title for a post and link to it for my tens of thousands of daily readers. Well, I have fallen into the very same trap that many others have - buying the headline. And, believe it or not, I feel pretty bad about it. Not that I would ever feel bad about Michael Moore being tarred for something made up - hell, he makes his living at making things up, taking quotes out of context and editing footage to invoke one thing when the actual footage says another. I just feel bad because I did something sloppy.

The man arrested in New York wasn't "Michael Moore's Bodyguard". He was a bodyguard employed by an agency that hires their agents out to famous people. The man who was arrested in New York was actually Bill Clinton's bodyguard for a while - that doesn't make him "Bill Clinton's Bodyguard", rather a man assigned to guard Clinton for a while through the agency he works for.

The bottom line of all this is that today's media, Fox News included, is very sloppy. Whatever sells is printed.

None of this changes the fact that Michael Moore employs bodyguards that are armed with guns - something he should get grilled for after his terrible film "Bowling for Columbine" where he rages about the sins of gun ownership and spliced snippets of Charleton Heston speeches together to make a totally new speech that never happenned. Hypocrite.

No comments: